Sunday, June 13, 2010

De Plane, De Plane.....

"De Plane, De Plane". These are the immortal words of Tattoo from Fantasy Island. I said in one of yesterday's posts that I would try to get some more photos to convey how close the planes come to the town of Faro. I spent a few minutes while waiting for the boat to Desert Island and this is what I came up with.

I said that the planes almost scrape the rooftops of the houses here, so here's the proof!




You can see how low the planes get!




I took these two from the boat, on the river, just a few metres out from the shore.


This last one show a plane just about to land at the airport on the other side of the river. Now I know I won't have made any friends at the Faro tourist board, but what I can say in their defence is:

  • the airport is very conveniently located close to town.

  • in reality the planes aren't a nuisance.

  • in their own way they are an added 'tourist attraction'. It is interesting watching the planes fly in from so close.

  • if you get really bored you can take up aircraft spotting as a hobby.

  • some airlines have really interesting designs on their tailplanes. We even learne3d of a couple of airlines we hadn't heard of before :-)


For those of you who can relate, it's a bit like when we were kids at the hockey grounds at Corradino, except these are passenger planes not military ones.
So it's not all bad news.

Tomorrow we're off to Lisbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment