Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Shadow of the Wind


A year or two ago (when it came out anyway) I bought and read "The Shadow of the Wind", a novel set in Barcelona. I thought it was a good book, though not the rave that the media made it out to be. A couple of friends of mine who read it didn't think much of it. I think it sucked me i from the start, with the "Cemetery of Forgotten Books", a concept I loved - a place where pre-loved books go.


The book is set in Barcelona just after the Spanish Civil War. I had intended to re-read it before the trip but that intention went by the wayside. At the back of the book is a walking tour that takes you through the locations in the book. I brought the book with me to re-read while on the trip, so I thought it would be fitting to start re-reading while still in Barcelona.

I had a peek at the back of the book. Now thyat I can visualise the places, I realise that I actually walked through most of them already. It is all (except the Tibidabo & Montjuic) set in the older part ofthe city, where I was based. When I come back I will try and take photos of the traiol.


I was pleased I had accidentally come across Barcelo's apartment and Nuria Monfort's. Barcelo's looks like it is being renovated or rebuilt, at any rate that corner of the Plaza Real is covered in scaffolding. I was disappointed to realise that the Sempere family bookshop and home is more or less behind the "El Cortes Ingles" (for Melbourne people, think "Myer" store at Plaza Catalunya, not the romantic notion I had envisaged!!

No comments:

Post a Comment