Thursday, June 10, 2010

Out and About in Seville

Following are just a few miscellaneous shots just walking around Seville. This is barely a fraction of what this place has to offer, I could happily snap photos continuously. Thankfully these days they cost nothing to process :)


First up is the old railway station. A new station has been built on the other side of town, and the old station has been converted into a neat little shopping centre with excellent free wifi, a supermarket (the largest I've seen in Spain so far but still small by Aussie standards) underneath and a cinema complex at the top.


I don't think the image below is Europe's latest spaceport but it certainly has a space age look about it. I have no idea what this new building, still under construction, is for - offices, residential, hotel.... - but it is a long way up in the air and caught my eye.


There are many narrow streets in Seville. This is by no means the narrowest or the best example but I thought I'd better get one while I can. Many of the houses and apartments are white with a mustard trim that makes ordinary buildings look appealing (not appalling). The other prominent colours here are a rosy pink which sounds awful but actually works; and doorways and windows with a trim set in blue / burgundy tiles, which really works. Note that each city has its own colours so the colours in Seville are not the same ones you would see in, for example, Granada or Cordoba.


Finally for my cousin Simon, it appears you have been busy putting together your own brand of wine here. Even though it only cost E0.99 we didn't lash out and try it so I can't tell you if it's any good or not. Just on that note I must mention how pleasantly surprised I am that food, drink and transport Spain seems to be so cheap compared to home. We bought the most expensive bottle of wine we could at the supermarket. It w2as E6.5 and really nice. The most expensive bottle of wine at the restaurant the other day was E11 and beautiful. Metro transport seems to cost E1 - E1.5 a trip, and the 4 hour bus trip from Torremolinos to Seville was only E19. A bottle of Chivas Regal is only E22 - I think the Aussie gov't is making a killing on excise. A 1.5 litre bottle of cold water costs E1, and soft drinks are half the price they are in Oz. I don't know what people earn here or what their other costs are, but these things that we have experienced are quite cheap compared to home.

We have a lot more sightseeing to do in Seville yet, then we are off to Faro in the Algarve in Portugal late tomorrow afternoon - and the World Cup gets under way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment